Saturday, July 4, 2009

There is more than one way to peel a peach

I have been ignoring my blogging obligations and so my wife has been carrying the burden for the last few posts. I have lots to get to so lets get to it!

First off we went to his 6 month checkup and he is growing and doesn't seem to be wanting to stop:

He is now 20 pounds, 11 ounces (95%), 28 inches(95%), and his head is big (46.3cm)(97%). He just keeps growing and growing. And since the Dr. green lighted stage 2 foods it doesn't seem like he will want to slow down.


Father's Day:

Since it was a first time father's day for me as a honored guest I enjoyed my day. My son and I spent the day watching some soccer matches and it was delightful. I hope that becomes a tradition on the years that it is possible to do.

Also, I was a little bummed about the US loss in the Confederations Cup….Xavi was too. But I think he was more upset by all the yelling and jumping around than anything else.


Grandmas:

This was too funny for me to pass up. But a few weeks ago it was probably in the high 90's here and we went over to my parents house for dinner. We pull in and it is probably around 6:00 in the evening and it is hot, the sun is still somewhat in the sky and Xavi has some wetness on his clothing. We go inside and grandma is talking about how he could be dehydrated and I just shook my head. A couple of hours later we are getting ready to leave and it is still in the 90's outside. I was going to put Xavi into the car in just his diaper thinking that it was a maximum 15 minutes he would be in the car and then into his pj's and to bed. Grandma says something about him being cold/getting hypothermia/etc… I laugh and roll my eyes wondering when St. Charles turned into the Gobi desert of the Midwest. I guess that is what grandmas are here for.


Formulas:

I think one of the most frustrating things of interacting with anyone who has ever had a child is the "this (idea/method/material) works for this (desired result)". The topics can range from having your child fall asleep, to finishing a bottle, to eating foods, etc… So, I had just had Xavi finish his bottle and Amie asks me how I got him to do it. Having had enough of these questions I said, " I pulled his left earlobe, rubbed his stomach, stretched out his right leg, closed his right eye, tickled his left foot, smiled at him, rubbed his head, turned him over three times and then he ate it." That is how he finishes his bottles.


Food:

Like I said earlier, he likes to eat. We let him try lots of different things and thus far he hasn't really like prunes (no big loss there) or peas (which are delicious and I don't know why he wouldn't like them). He really wants to eat what we are eating and drink what we drink as he will cause a "disturbance" if we hold him and eat something. Usually grabbing, tasting, and flinging whatever is in his reach.

I use "tasting" loosely here. He is like a shark in this stage in that he puts something in his mouth to see if we would like to eat it. If it passes the test he will try and eat it, otherwise he lets go and throws it on the floor.


Swimming:

Amie took Xavi to a friends pool and he loved it. He kicked and wanted to swim by himself in his little turtle. I am glad he likes the water and look forward to swimming with him in the future.


Other Observations:

He will tense up when he is about to be tickled.

He will hug you now, or as best as he can.

He is starting to hold his arms out to be picked up.

He is starting to roll, a lot.

He wants to desperately be able to crawl/walk…but he isn't there yet.

He is becoming more and more vocal.


Don't forget to check out the pictures.

4 comments:

if I could come back as any animal it would be a river otter said...

Oh my goodness! So many cute pictures! My little baby boy is getting sooo big and sooo cute. My favorite picture was 42 out of 47...he looks like such a little geek.

I went to the zoo today and kept thinking about how fun it will be to take xavi there when he is bigger and comes to visit. I almost got him a stuffed penguin but then figured I'll wait to spoil him when he's old enough to appreciate it :)

I like how you get him to finish bottles said...

picture #42 looks sort of like Sheldon from "Big Bang Theory"...

it is funny to compare Irene's stats with Xav's at 6 months. Xav is almost a full pound heavier, similar in length, and has a much bigger head. we thought Irene was a beast!? She will still boss him around though...

you forgot to mention jumping. he is a human pogo stick...or was the other night when I saw him!

great pix. he is cute.

Jillian said...

I can't wait for Xavi to meet Emerson! He gets cuter and cuter every time I see him!! I don't know if that is possible but it is true!!

also victims of neurotic grandmas said...

Totally can relate to you with the crazy, overprotective grandma stories. We have manyyyyyyyy similar stories. Here's just one--Baba walks them on the bike path and carries wasp spray to fend off any vicious coyotes that may want to sample small children for lunch. I envision Little Red Riding Hood in this scenario:) Owen and Liam can't wait to see Xavi again. Love the pics. See you soon.