Saturday, June 26, 2010

Summer Fun

So a lot has happened since our last post. We have moved. Moving is terrible. Let me re-phrase that. Packing is terrible. Unpacking and setting up in a new place isn’t that bad, but then realizing all the stuff you have to buy (after you have bought a house) brings it back to terrible.

The plus sides to owning a house are great.

1. I don’t worry about how loud I am or anyone in the house is, particularly Xavi, who seems to have his father’s noise sensitivity levels (which are pretty much non-existent).


2. Space outside. Xavi likes to run all over the backyard. Throw things, kick things, run away from us. There was a swing-set that the previous owners left, and although it isn’t in the best shape it works for Xavi and he loves to climb up the slide and then slide back down. He has also made friends with the neighbor’s dogs, Dora and Diego. As well as a friendly turtle that frequents our backyard. He has yet to explore beyond the walls of the compound but I am sure that will come one day.

3. Proximity to Didu and Gigi’s house. This allows us hang out by the pool and stay a little later since we don’t have to drive back home. Also Didu gets to help fix things whenever I call with a question or problem. We have installed a few ceiling fans and done some landscaping work taking some cast off supplies from the I-Depot.

4. Creative Liberties. We get to paint/design do whatever we want to the walls/house if and when we find money to do such things. Amie is enjoying this more than I and our home is starting to look/feel more like a home.

5. A garage.

There are also some things we noticed that are more difficult with a house.

1. Community. Community takes more intentionality in a home than in an apartment. The proximity in an apartment complex leads to more interaction with your neighbors. Amie and I are learning this. We have met some of our neighbors but not all. They are nice.

2. Commute. My commute is about the same distance but because of traffic it sucks. I am looking forward to teleportation or flying cars.

3. A Lawn. Why do we care about grass length in our society? I am pretty sure our ancestors would find this silly. Also, I am going to have my legal department file a cease and desist paper with the local Mole population.

4. There are other things like bills that we have found are more difficult as well.

Before we even had an offer on this house we had told Gigi and Didu that we would go to Florida with them during one of Didu’s business trips/conventions. We got to see the inner workings of JC007. They weren’t very exciting.

Florida was lovely and Xavi loved running on the beaches and swimming and just all of the “Florida experience”. I recommend not going on vacation during the World Cup, it really puts your priorities against each other. I wanted to lie on the beach but wanted to watch soccer as well. It was very difficult.

Also Xavi is getting to the age where he isn’t easy to ignore. For instance, in our hotel room while on vacation it was probably 7:00am and we were sleeping and I hear Xavi make a noise so I glance over at his crib. He is sitting up and looking straight at our bed. Upon immediate eye contact with me he stands right up, grabs the top of his crib and begins to bounce up and down. I tried to drop my head extra quick but it was too late as the damage had been done and he knew I was awake. Overall it was a nice trip and made me miss St. George, perhaps one day I will visit it again.


That is all the update for now. The pictures we have are from early May to the end of June as we didn’t have an update recently. Click through them and I hope you enjoy. Let us know if you are coming for a visit as we have some extra space!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cute pictures. Yes we have to visit. For sure after the world cup.

KY is awesome said...

yeah for new blog posts!

good post. packed with lots of information and fun pictures.

I think Xavi is really needing a younger brother, Xabi, to play with in the sandy beaches of florida!

see you soon.

get your boots on said...

next time move somewhere with a beach. then you could have guilt free world cup entertainment, plus a little pageantry maybe.

only 8 games left. i plan on watching em all.

i predict brazil def Arg in the final 2-1.

Lairy the Cupcake Fairy ... that's me! x said...

Oh he's growing up so fast!! Send him over at 16! x